Posting Instagram stories is an unbeatable way to share your behind-the-scenes stories, your product updates, or even (if your account is verified) a blog post image with a link to the post! In fact, our first attempts of posting a story with a link resulted in a 32% click-through rate! You can get creative with Instagram stories with a day-in-the-life stories, a takeover event, or even a mini slideshow.
But, setting aside the time to keep your story active (each will disappear after 24 hours) can be a daunting challenge. And sometimes, well, you’re out making memories and don’t want to stop to record a story. Enter story scheduling!
Scheduling an Instagram story is as easy as scheduling an Instagram post! With just a little bit of forethought, you can have an entire week’s worth of Instagram stories ready to go in under an hour. Don’t believe me? Check out this Instagram hack Tailwind Marketing manager Melissa Megginson came up with!Try links in stories for unbelievable click-through rates. One of ours had a 32% CTR!Click To Tweet
How to Schedule a Photo Instagram Story with a Link
While your reasons for scheduling a story are as varied as can be, in this case, I’m posting a story (a static image) which will link to a blog post – THIS blog post, in fact! To entice more people to check out my story, I’ll also post a regular Instagram update and let people know that there is a link to the blog post in the story. Here’s how I do it:
- Go to Tailwind on desktop and schedule your blog post update. In this case, I’ve scheduled a regular Instagram post for 12:55 PM and I’ve included, “Check out the #LinkInStory to learn more” in the description.
2. I’ll next schedule my story for 12:50, to ensure it’s added before the regular post. It consists of the image and for the description, it’s just the URL I’ll need in order to add the link. NOTE: to track traffic to your site from Instagram, use a UTM URL.
3. When you get the notification to publish the story, first tap on the caption, select it all, and copy. Now the link is stored to your clipboard. We’ll use it in a moment.
4. Click on the image to enlarge it and take a screen shot. At first you’ll see a version with the “Done” button and link overlaying the image. Tap the image to clear all that off! Now take your screen shot – your image is saved to your camera roll.
5. Go to the home screen of Instagram on your phone and publish the image you just saved to your phone as your story (you can swipe down and choose to add a video or image you’ve saved in the last 24 hours), adding the link by clicking on the little link icon.
6. Hit “Your Story” and you’re done!
7. When you get the notification to publish the regular Instagram post, just publish as usual!
How to Schedule a Video Instagram Story with a Link
If you want to schedule a video story (using a clip up to 15 seconds in length) to Instagram, you’ll need a slightly different method, because it’s not yet possible to directly schedule videos for posting on Instagram.
For the sake of consistency in this case, I’m again posting a story (this time a video) which will link to this blog post. As I did above, I’ll also schedule a regular Instagram post and let people know that there is a link to the blog post in the story. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Tailwind on desktop and schedule your blog post update. Again, I included, “Check out the #LinkInStory to learn more” in the description. Inside the scheduled blog post update, add in the link to the blog post that you want to use in the story. You’ll also add a link to the video. Likely you’ll have it in dropbox or on a similar site. See my example…
- When you get the notification to publish the post to Instagram, select and cut the file location of your video and paste it into your phone’s internet browser. Download the video to your phone.
- Then, back in your Tailwind app, select and cut the URL out of the description and copy it to the clipboard.
- Go to the home screen of Instagram on your phone and publish the video you saved to your phone in step two as your story (you can swipe down and choose to add a video or image you’ve saved in the last 24 hours), then add the link by clicking on the little link icon.
- Hit “Next” and share to your story.
- Now return to the Tailwind app on your phone and publish your post as usual!
Will you use this method to schedule your Instagram stories? Have you figured out another method to schedule your Instagram stories? Let us know!
Ready to give it a go? Get a free trial of Tailwind for Instagram now!